That was the first of four to five nights of dump trucks bringing in new soil . . . in the middle of the night. The dump trucks would dump it out, the back flap would bang LOUDLY, then bang again, a little softer, then bang again, and again, and then stop. In the middle of the night . . . for four or five nights in a row.
We all had different stories to tell about the first night. One neighbor reached for the silent alarm button and his wife got him to stop to see what it was before he pushed it. He thought, like all of us, that we were in the middle of being robbed on the compound. It was quite a scare . . . in the middle of the night.
Did I mention that it was in the middle of the night?!! :-)
Here are some photos of one of the recent days of work they were doing. They dug the soil up RIGHT at the front of the house that the night guard lives in on the plot. RIGHT up to the door. I was sad watching it. The mama of the house was watching from another pile too, with anxiousness, I am sure. You can see her in the foreground with the black swater and gray skirt, there is a little girl in the pink beside her. I was anxious watching it, and it was not my front door they were close to. (And, I did not even get the shot of when they were sending the “fork” right into the ground!)


(The foliage at the bottom of the photo is “the wall”. It is a block wall running the length of our compound, and has beautiful bouganvilla growing up the entire length of the wall.)