Thursday, January 10, 2008

sunday, 11 january

9.30am local time
Doha, Qatar

It is cold here in the desert! We are wearing layers, which include sweatshirts. It is an interesting concept. There are so many things about here that remind me of our time in Kh-artoum a few years ago. The sand that blows all over, the dry desert air, and the cold that catches you off guard. The other morning we woke to a sand storm -- and it lasted a good part of the day. We could smell it, burning my throat, and breathed it in even in the closed up house. Layers of sand coated the floor, even minutes after wiping it up.

Tuesday night Angie and I went to the hospital where we will both have our babies. I got to meet the doc who will do my delivery, but did not get to sit with her as a patient. She was on the way out to an emergency c-section.

I think that the doc that I did meet with was a little intimidated by all of my answers. She kept asking, I kept answering. I am not the typical lady from the area, where the husband answers all of the questions for her, and had a child with me to boot! I think that might have irritated the doc, and knowing that I would do a scheduled c-section I would not be her patient, so with her it was all facts, no personality. I am looking forward to actually meeting with, as opposed to just meeting, the doc who will do the surgery. She really seemed nice.

Cristiana went along with us, and she got to see the ultrasound. It was a little weird and I think scary for her too. I think she thought that she was going to get to meet the baby out of my belly! As we watched the ultrasound screen, she asked if the baby was dead, I told her no, that the sound she had just heard was the baby’s heart beat -- just like hers. I showed her the wand, too, that the doc was using to get the pictures, and the way it was going across my belly to see different parts. Then she was okay. It would be interesting to know what REALLY went through her mind.

Then, yesterday she asked if she would be able to go with Daddy and I when the baby is born. I told her that even Daddy would not be able to be with Mama. He will be there at the hospital, but not in the operating room. (He does not want to see that again anyway, so no biggie that he will not be allowed in!) Cristiana will hopefully get to see the baby soon after she is born.

“Sally” is well. She continues to stretch up into my lungs, which of course makes it hard to breath. Nighttime is the worst, as we have to share this body for the next few more weeks. I have had much less pelvic bone pain, tightness, and contractions since being here. I really wonder how much of it has to do with the lower altitude, or just that I am not as “busy” here as I always am at home. I have had a new pain of cramps, but they come and go. So far I have only had to be in bed for most part of one day, and that was within the first day or two. I am very grateful for that, as I need to be with C all of the day.

Rod has done some interesting flights the last week. They finished doing evacuations on Saturday, and then yesterday he flew a group of 35 pastors out to El Doret for some restoration meetings and general encouraging of the people. Dan Germo was part of that group, he is the brother-in-law to one of the SP mechanics at the hangar in North Wilkesboro, NC. Then, today he is taking 9,000 kilos of food stuffs to Homa Bay, doing three rotations of 3,000 kilos each trip. It will be hard work and he will get home exhausted that is for sure.

We are planning for Rod to come here a few days before the scheduled c-section in order for us to have a few days together as a family, before we add the baby into the mix. Cristiana will need that. She is doing well, but showing signs of insecurity, which is to be expected. She is very clingy and wants to hold my hand everywhere that we go -- even it if it just up or down the stairs. That is one of the typical things that she does. Every day she tells me something of what she misses from home: from our dog, to the gate guards, to Java House -- her favorite restaurant. And, of course, is always praying for Daddy and his safety. She knows that he will come here soon.

As far as the situation in Kenya is concerned, I am sure that the news has moved off the front page. It is no longer a crisis in the eyes of the world. However, it is still a crisis for many people, including us. If you look on cnn.com (the international part of the site) you will still find some news, both in print and video. That is where I have been watching the most. I think that the live news black-out is still in effect. I read that there were some international people asking for that to be lifted. There are still loads of people who are angry and wanting violence, and pockets of that going on; but that there is some dialogue and attempts at working through some mediation.

I have been able to keep in touch with many of our friends there, as my cell phone has roaming coverage here. That has been a huge blessing! It is my lifeline back to home, a great way to stay connected with those that we love. Many are saying that things have calmed down, but there is a sense of caution in the air. And people are wondering how long things will stay calm, or if things will blow up again. Looking at the news, one can tell that it is still a bit of a time bomb, hopefully one that will not go off. Friends are wondering what the future of Kenya holds. I wonder how many people will stay to find out. I trust that within our organization no one will make a move until guided from Above! (If you know what I mean?!!)

Things do seem to be getting back to normal, but really not sure how long it will take for it all to get there. We do know One who knows, though! It could be a long road to recovery, healing, and restoration.

Thank you for your continued prayers on our behalf, for the safety of Rod as he continues to fly, and for the country of Kenya.